The Manufacturing and Engineering Industry Reference Committee (IRC), supported by IBSA Manufacturing, is reviewing three areas of the MEM Manufacturing and Engineering Training Package: welding skills; technical skills; and trainer, supervisor and coordinator skills.
Refer to the Case for Change for more information on the training package components to be modified, and the research undertaken to support this project.
The project is running as three streams:
- The welding stream is now underway, with a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) formed in 2019 to discuss new welding units.
- The technical stream will initially focus on absorbing the Victorian accredited Diploma of Applied Technologies course into the MEM Manufacturing and Engineering Training Package, with a further suite of technical qualifications to follow.
- The remaining stream, Trainer/Supervisor/Coordinator, relies on the completion of the MEM Release 3.0 Transition Project work and is due to move to the research phase later in 2020.
Why we are reviewing it
This project covers three key skill areas important to the manufacturing and engineering industries. The relevant training package components are being reviewed based on:
- key government initiatives
- shifting technology trends
- changing work and career values.
What we are reviewing*
- 4 qualifications
- 234 existing units of competency
- 4 or 5 new qualifications.
*Further components may be affected by unit code and title changes.
Governance and methodology
Training package development projects are overseen by the relevant Industry Reference Committee (IRC) and supported by a project Technical Advisory Committee (TAC). They guide the project and provide industry expertise for developing the components. All projects are then referred to the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) for approval.
Stay in touch
Click here to stay updated with component development and consultation opportunities.
For more information contact:
Chris Hudson | Industry Engagement Partner
P: (03) 9815 7099 | E: [email protected]